Quadrophenia: Film #94 of Film 365

Sunday 27th November 2011

Director: Franc Roddam
Year: 1979
Stars: Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Philip Davis, Sting, Ray Winstone

OK, I admit it, I have never seen Quadrophenia. Which is the reason for me recording it, so that I could! I didn't really know what to expect - I knew it was set in the '60s, and it involved mods and rockers, but not much more than that.

It turns out, that pretty much sums up the plot. There is a central character Jimmy (Daniels), but his life is quite firmly built around the concept of being a mod. Oh, and there's a very young-looking Ray Winstone in it for a bit too. And lots of The Who's music.

I didn't dislike Quadrophenia, so much as was just non-plussed by it. The story is an enjoyable one, but the main problem is that I found it very hard to identify with Jimmy. I was never bored, and always intrigued by what was coming next - but I often found myself wondering what the point of it all was. And it felt like the sort of movie that should have a point - it had just gotten lost somewhere along the way. Or maybe that was the point...

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.