Eclipse: Film #84 of Film 365

Friday 28th October 2011

Director: David Slade
Year: 2010
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Billy Burke, Anna Kendrick, Ashley Greene, Jasper Rathbone, Peter Facinelli, Dakota Fanning, Sarah Clarke, Bryce Dallas Howard

Eclipse was never going to beat Twilight - just like New Moon couldn't. When I watched Twilight, everything was new and exciting- and the story worked as a simple love story. Now, I know the plot before I see the film, and things are a lot more complex than at the beginning of Twilight. This is no longer just a love story (although at least that element is still at the heart of the plot). I thought it might have an advantage over New Moon though, as it has content that I thought might just work better on film. And Eclipse definitely does have some very visual elements - the beginning, for example, draws you into the Twilight world immediately, and very effectively.

As with all the other movies in the Twilight saga, Eclipse focuses on the relationships between Bella, Edward and Jacob. This time though there's an extra dimension - an army of newborn vampires are being created in Seattle, and they seem to be after something, or someone, in Forks.

There was just something about Eclipse that didn't feel quite right. I don't really know what that thing is- and it may just be that I was a little tired when I was watching, or that I was watching it with the wrong person. There were constant grumblings from that person about how things didn't make sense or quite add up. I can't say I felt this way myself, so I think Eclipse may need another viewing when I'm fully awake, by myself and can enjoy it in peace!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.