Mamma Mia!: Film #21 of Film 365

Saturday 9th April 2011

Director: Phyllida Lloyd
Year: 2008
Stars: Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellen Skarsgard

Everything you've heard about Mamma Mia! is true. It has a lot of singing, a lot of ABBA songs, and a lot of feel-good, cheery scenes. If you hate ABBA, or musicals, you're gonna hate this. With a passion.

There is a semblance of a plot here. Sophie (Seyfried) is about to get married to Sky (Cooper), and wants to find her real dad. So she invites them all (there are three possibilities) to her wedding.

Yes, its' cheesy. Yes, there are a lot of ABBA songs sledge hammered in so they fit. But its fun, and it made me smile (the Greek setting and sunshine did help here, admittedly). An unfortunate side-effect is that I still have ABBA songs in my head.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.