Wednesday 10th June

Drag me to Hell

Director: Sam Raimi
Year: 2009
Stars: Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Lorna Raver, Dileep Rao

This creeped me right out. Which is probably a good start for a horror movie. It also made me laugh out loud, sometimes whilst I was jumping out of my skin. I shouldn't have been jumping, I KNEW it was about to happen... and I still have visions of that hideous witch at night when I turn all the lights out, two days later...

Drag me to Hell is exactly what anybody who has heard of Sam Raimi (or seen any of the Evil Dead films) should expect from him, if he's making one of his best films. It's unashamedly brash about what it is, and at the same time is amazingly good at subverting itself in so many subtle ways that, if you had never watched a movie like this before, you might not even notice.

The film is about a girl who has a curse put on her, and has to deal with the demon (as well as an incredibly evil, annoying witch), who begins torturing her, and, in 3 days will, you got it, drag her to hell.

The plot sounds like any standard horror movie (don't worry, it's meant to), but any film that can make me jump and laugh at the same time (and, it seemed, every other member of the cinema audience) gets my vote. But it did make me think twice about watching another horror movie any time in the near future - I'm not sure I can take my heart beating that fast again any time soon... and that poor kitten....

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.